跳至

首頁

尾頁

別墅

積分: 896

1#
發表於 08-8-8 05:15 |只看該作者
I am going to live there very soon, my hubbie is an American, we have been living in HKG for a long time. I am sort of nervours, the life style is so much different from HKG and I don't have any friends there!

王國長老

積分: 171639

2024年龍年勳章 2024勳章 虎到金來勳章 牛年勳章 15週年勳章 親子王國15週年勳章 親子王國15週年勳章 2018復活節勳章 畀面勳章 有「營」勳章 好媽媽勳章 醒目開學勳章 環保接龍勳章 大廚勳章 親子達人勳章 王國長老 BK Milk勳章 hashtag影視迷勳章 最關心BB問題熱投勳章 開心吸收勳章

2#
發表於 08-8-9 13:56 |只看該作者
原文章由 rikaG 於 08-8-8 05:15 發表
I am going to live there very soon, my hubbie is an American, we have been living in HKG for a long time. I am sort of nervours, the life style is so much different from HKG and I don't have any frien ...

rikaG,
Welcome to USA. I live in San Francisco City. Which city in Marin County you are going to stay? There are quite a bit of good places to go there such as Sausalito, Muir Wood, Point Reyes, etc. How old are your 2 kids? I have 2 little ones, my son 2 years 5 months old and my daughter is going to be 1 in 1 week's time. You're right, the lifestyle in here is much different from HK. But, I believe that there're much to offer for the growth of kids in here: more space, more green, more choices. I have been moved to here for 4 years. Sometimes, I really miss the days in HK but 既來之,則安之;何處安居是吾家。Do you plan to be a working mom or full-time mom? When you would come over for good?
花旗太太生活在花旗國,留意時差,你問我未必即時答到。

別墅

3#
發表於 08-8-10 04:37 |只看該作者

回覆 #1 rose-mag 的文章

Hi Rose-mag,
So glad to hear from you!
Yes this is a beautiful city and a lot better quality life for children! We are looking around at Tiburon, Mill valley and Kent Field, as people say they have good school there. My son is going to be 11 end of this year and my daughter had just turned 3.
Not sure I will be working, I gues we can a lot to take care in the begining.
Please tell me more about here in San Fransisco, dothey have good YUM CHA resturant? Fresh food market ?
Thanks!

別墅

積分: 785

4#
發表於 08-8-12 04:11 |只看該作者
Woh ... we going to have 1 more Bay Area mom! Welcome ah!

I live in East Bay and have a 12 month old boy.

Don't know about the Chinese restaurant in Marin County, but have few good dim sum places around Bay Area ... one/two of the place I like is Koi Palace/Garden in Daly City & Dublin.

子爵府

積分: 11438

好媽媽勳章 醒目開學勳章

5#
發表於 08-8-14 05:31 |只看該作者
Hi, I live in San Rafael, My husband also is an American. We have 2 girls, My older one is 3yrs and the younger one is about 5 months. I am living here about 5 years.

Are you going to buy/ rent a house?

Yes, Mill Valley, Kent Field, Tiburon & Corte Madera are very good school districts.

原文章由 rikaG 於 08-8-7 13:15 發表
I am going to live there very soon, my hubbie is an American, we have been living in HKG for a long time. I am sort of nervours, the life style is so much different from HKG and I don't have any frien ...

別墅

6#
發表於 08-8-14 21:47 |只看該作者

回覆 #1 purplechili 的文章

Hi Everyone, thanks for your in-puts!
We are going o buy a house....I guess it is a good time to buy, right?
I have spent a summer at Sonoma last year, we had rent a house there. I found all hanging wall arts went crooked in the morning, we suspect it is from the minor earth quake, what do you think about the risk of getting earth quake here in bay area? During the house hunting, I have seen a lot of house built 40+ years but still in very good condition, I think it should be OK. Just want to know what you girls think about this?

王國長老

積分: 171639

2024年龍年勳章 2024勳章 虎到金來勳章 牛年勳章 15週年勳章 親子王國15週年勳章 親子王國15週年勳章 2018復活節勳章 畀面勳章 有「營」勳章 好媽媽勳章 醒目開學勳章 環保接龍勳章 大廚勳章 親子達人勳章 王國長老 BK Milk勳章 hashtag影視迷勳章 最關心BB問題熱投勳章 開心吸收勳章

7#
發表於 08-8-19 01:50 |只看該作者
原文章由 rikaG 於 08-8-14 21:47 發表
Hi Everyone, thanks for your in-puts!
We are going o buy a house....I guess it is a good time to buy, right?
I have spent a summer at Sonoma last year, we had rent a house there. I found all hanging w ...

rikaG,

Everybody says that it's a good time to buy a house now. I and my hubby are also looking for a house for a while but have not found one we really like yet. Other than the price of the house, the policies of the bank on mortgage had changed recently. In early June, most of the banks just required for 10% down payment and minimum cash of 6 month of payment in bank. However, the policy changed for most of the banks, now you have to put down at least 20% for down payment even though you have a high credit score.

For earthquake, I think that there's higher risk in anywhere in SF Bay Area but possibly higher in SF and the southern part. Most of the houses built here are earthquake-proved. Also, I will not buy any one next to the cliff, seashore or where with the higher possibility of landslides. Old house is nice for the design such as high ceiling, spacious interior but you may need to check if the infrastructure and the construction need to be remodelled. For example, if the pipes need to be changed, if the roof has to be replaced, how old the stoves in the kitchen are, how about the painting, staircases, wires, phoneline, etc. If all these have to be replaced, it can come up to another $300-400k easy.

Forget to reply, for good yum cha places, I think that Koi Palace in Daly City that HappyMatt mentioned is pretty good. There are also some good places in San Francisco, Milbrae and Milpitas, depends on what kind of food quality and price you want. Good food can be pricey in here. For good Taiwanese and Vietnamese food, you may need to drive to Cupertino or San Jose. I have once been to Sonoma for a wedding dinner, the place was so romantic but it's really expensive.

When you would come for good? Contact me and see if we can meet and maybe we can coordinate to have a gathering with the other mommies here.
花旗太太生活在花旗國,留意時差,你問我未必即時答到。

子爵府

好媽媽勳章 醒目開學勳章

8#
發表於 08-8-19 05:30 |只看該作者
Now is a good time to buy a house, It will never happen around Marin though. Especially, Tiburon, Mill Valley or good school districts...... at least $850K for 2 Bedrooms & 2 Baths, good condition house.
Even a little bit north, like Novato, at least $600K for 2BR & 2B. More further north, Santa Rosa at least $450K for 2BR & 2B. Buying a nice size house in nice neighborhoods of S.F, $1000K for sure.

The bank will not only check your credit score but also your career, if either of you or your husband is not working or the job that you work is not stable, they will make it very hard to get a loan or not. You might need to consider renting a house for a while until everything settle down.
I think the better way is call and check around the real estates here, hopefully, they will give you more accurate info than mine.

[ 本文章最後由 purplechili 於 08-8-19 06:01 編輯 ]

子爵府

好媽媽勳章 醒目開學勳章

9#
發表於 08-8-19 05:59 |只看該作者
talking about 飲茶, there are some good dim sum place in S.F.

Yank Sing on Stevenson St (Good atmosphere, westernized version of dim sum, expensive, taste good.)
Yank Sing on Spear St
Ton Kiang on Geary (Good Food, clean , average price)
S&T Hong Kong on Noriega (always pack of chinese people, good food & cheap)
Mayflower on Geary (Good Food & avaerage price, chinese people go)
Canton dim sum on Folsom St.
Gold Mountain on Broadway
Good Luck Dim Sum on Clement ( Takeout style, always has a long line, cheap & good food)

By the way, I haven't been all of them

別墅

10#
發表於 08-8-19 07:51 |只看該作者
Woh ... purplechili got lot of information ah! let me try them when I get a chance.

If go more south side, I like the Hong Kong Saigon Restaurant too ah. They used to have 1 in East Bay (El Cerrito), but got burned about 2 yrs ago. So, we only can head down to the south. My hubby & I like their din sum, fresh fish congee & cold crab.

別墅

11#
發表於 08-8-20 16:11 |只看該作者

回覆 #1 HappyMatt 的文章

Wah, so many choices.......I am excited.
My hubby is a Kwailo but he is so used the food in Hong Kong, often go to Yum cha with me and use chopstick better than many Chinese!
I will hav eto try themm all when we get there!

別墅

12#
發表於 08-8-20 16:30 |只看該作者

回覆 #5 rose-mag 的文章

Rose-Mag and Purple Chilie,

Thanks for the info!

We understand everything is very expensive in Califonia specially in Bay area. My hubby likes Marin a lot and his family all lives around Novato and San refael, so I think we'd better stay in Marin, at least for the good school.
We have a realtor working with us, she is really good, keeping us updated almost every week, and get many informations for us. We have seen a house on the mountain look out to the east bay, will you consider that is on a cliff?
I feel we have so much to do for the big move.......I am selling my house in Hong Kong now, but will try to keep a small one, and I think we probably get get everyting down to the ground by the end of this year or early next year. My hubby may need to go back and forth but I think I will be staying in the States to take care the kids. I am not sure if I could do it all as I am so spoiled with my maids here!
I know the mortgage is a big probelm there that's why so many houses are for sale. One house we like has went down 30% from the day we seen it. it's unbelieveable. Everythign is cooking and I am getting nervouse and excited!
I will give you girls my number once I get to S.F. for sure!

別墅

13#
發表於 10-4-2 17:59 |只看該作者
原帖由 rikaG 於 08-8-20 16:30 發表
Rose-Mag and Purple Chilie,

Thanks for the info!

We understand everything is very expensive in Califonia specially in Bay area. My hubby likes Marin a lot and his family all lives around Novato and ...

Hi SF Moms!

Finally, we are coming!
There were a lot happened in last year, and we have finally found a house at Tiburon!
So, we will be here in SF after my kids get out of their school, probably in July.

See you all......I will say Hi again when I land!

別墅

14#
發表於 10-4-6 04:43 |只看該作者
Hi ah rikaG. Hope everything will be going ok in your big move, and enjoy your last 3 month in HK la

別墅

15#
發表於 10-4-6 11:10 |只看該作者
原帖由 HappyMatt 於 10-4-6 04:43 發表
Hi ah rikaG. Hope everything will be going ok in your big move, and enjoy your last 3 month in HK la

There will be a lot to do lah. Still have no clue what do I need to do first.......
But I am really looking forward to this big event in our life. I like it so much in SF, the air, the enviroment....etc. Hope to meet all of your soon.

別墅

16#
發表於 10-7-21 02:51 |只看該作者

We have landed

Hi Everyone, we are here! Out house is still have some works to be done but we are here now, finally!

別墅

積分: 781

17#
發表於 10-7-22 07:27 |只看該作者
Welcome! Hope you settle down soon (I live in South Bay).

原帖由 rikaG 於 10-7-21 02:51 發表
Hi Everyone, we are here! Out house is still have some works to be done but we are here now, finally!

別墅

18#
發表於 10-7-27 05:57 |只看該作者
Welcome to Bay Area!

首頁

尾頁

跳至