跳至

首頁

尾頁

大宅

積分: 1760

1#
發表於 08-9-30 00:43 |只看該作者
i'd been qualified to apply for the US citizenship but haven't done so as i've been too lazy and didn't care too much about it.

now i have 2 questions before i decide to apply for it:

- is it true that the applicants will be interviewed with the old sets of questions if they apply or submit by Oct 1, 2008?

- my husband (US citizen) told me that it might not be good for us if i also become a US citizen. he said we won't be qualified to get any benefits/welfares from the government. meanwhile, he's more concerned about paying taxes for our whole life even if we move out of the country when we retire. he said my European citizenship is even better.

any comments?

別墅

積分: 781

2#
發表於 08-9-30 03:57 |只看該作者
If you apply before Oct 1 this year, you have an option to choose whether you want to take the test with old OR new questions. If you pick the old questions and failed the first time, the second time, you can still use the old questions. If you pick to use the new questions for the 1st try and fail, you can only use the new questions for the 2nd try.

If you have European citizenship, depends if you going to move/work/live outside of the US in the future, you may choose not to apply for US citizenship if you want. I guess it really depends if you want to stay in the US later and what you gonna do/work/retire in what place later.

I know a Korean friend choose to remain her green card status instead of applying for US citizenship for tax purposes (she has rental property in Korea... but I don't know the details on the tax benefit).

I guess if you are not going to live outside of US for many years (save the trouble of applying those re-entry paperwork) and don't care if you can vote or not (or apply your family for imigration to US), staying with green card status is fine enough for the current regulation.

I am actually thinking to apply for US citizenship later on this year or next year (I am qualify for the application as well).

原文章由 SY_Mom 於 08-9-30 00:43 發表
i'd been qualified to apply for the US citizenship but haven't done so as i've been too lazy and didn't care too much about it.

now i have 2 questions before i decide to apply for it:

- is it true t ...

男爵府

積分: 7794

3#
發表於 08-9-30 07:56 |只看該作者
入唔入籍都冇乜分別, 在於公民有right of vote, 同冇"第"界出境..
if european passport 好啲, 唔駛care about US citizenship 呢

我9月入紙N400, 今日去咗finger print.. C喇.. 我對US history 一無所知呢!
我今日問, 佢話before Oct 1, 2008入紙就可揀新/舊questions, after Oct 1, 2008入紙 就只准考新question.

原文章由 bunnymonkey 於 08-9-29 02:57 PM 發表
If you apply before Oct 1 this year, you have an option to choose whether you want to take the test with old OR new questions. If you pick the old questions and failed the first time, the second time, ...

大宅

4#
發表於 08-9-30 09:38 |只看該作者
nillie,

that means u can choose to answer the old set of questions which are easy. it's like at elementary school level. as long as u know English, you'll be fine if u can review the questions a couple days before the interview.

that's why i wanna see if i can finish the N400 tonite and send it out by express overnite if i decide to naturalize.

for the new set of interview questions, it's more like Introduction to US Government 100 at college which I had to study really really hard to get a grade B, while it's easy to the American students as they'd already learned it in high school. that's 1 of the 2 B's i got from college.

原文章由 Nillie_Mami 於 08-9-30 07:56 發表
入唔入籍都冇乜分別, 在於公民有right of vote, 同冇"第"界出境..
if european passport 好啲, 唔駛care about US citizenship 呢

我9月入紙N400, 今日去咗finger print.. C喇.. 我對US history 一無所知呢!
我今日 ...

[ 本文章最後由 SY_Mom 於 08-9-30 09:48 編輯 ]

大宅

5#
發表於 08-9-30 09:46 |只看該作者
bunnymonkey,

if u've already decided to naturalize, why not try to do it before 10/1 although only couple days left.

i'm thinking to try to submit first if i have enough time to do it these couple days. then i can decide later if i really wanna go for interview or not.
i'm thinking to apply for it, coz US citizenship is the only citizenship that all of my family can get. my husband can't get the european citizenship from me.

also, i was told that i could give up my US citizenship later if i decide to move of the country for good.

原文章由 bunnymonkey 於 08-9-30 03:57 發表
If you apply before Oct 1 this year, you have an option to choose whether you want to take the test with old OR new questions. If you pick the old questions and failed the first time, the second time, ...

大宅

6#
發表於 08-9-30 11:08 |只看該作者
bunnymonkey,

oops ... too late now!
even if i've completed the N400 formtonite and send it out by express-overnite, the INS office will get iton Oct. 1. in that case, i'll be still taking the test with the newset of questions.

i guess both of us will be taking the tests with the new set of questions if we decide to naturalize later.

別墅

積分: 781

7#
發表於 08-9-30 11:59 |只看該作者
Well, I have been busy lately though I already downloaded the N400 form and looked over what it asked for. Anyway, many things going on lately so I don't have time to prepare for the paperwork and send out the form. I guess I will just apply later and go with the new set of questions.

I haven't really look into what type of new questions yet though I heard many people said the new questions maybe harder. I guess I will need to really study for it later. I took US Government in freshman year too. I only got a B grade. It's not my favorite subject at all.

原文章由 SY_Mom 於 08-9-30 09:46 發表
bunnymonkey,

if u've already decided to naturalize, why not try to do it before 10/1 although only couple days left.

i'm thinking to try to submit first if i have enough time to do it these couple d ...

大宅

8#
發表於 08-9-30 12:15 |只看該作者
if u haven't got a chance to take look at the new questions, they're exactly like the US Government course 100/101 at college. however, i have already forgotton most of them.

for the old questions, i think most elementary school kids could answer most of them.

王國長老

積分: 171639

2024年龍年勳章 2024勳章 虎到金來勳章 牛年勳章 15週年勳章 親子王國15週年勳章 親子王國15週年勳章 2018復活節勳章 畀面勳章 有「營」勳章 好媽媽勳章 醒目開學勳章 環保接龍勳章 大廚勳章 親子達人勳章 王國長老 BK Milk勳章 hashtag影視迷勳章 最關心BB問題熱投勳章 開心吸收勳章

9#
發表於 08-10-1 01:56 |只看該作者
I have also downloaded N400 and filled in long time ago but have been held up by other things. So, I also have not submitted the form yet. I have read the sample of the questions before and let my ABC hubby to read it. Even my hubby said that it's not easy and he could not pick an answer for some of the questions. For me, not a native speaker, not study in here, it possibly would be hard to get a pass.

Now, I am thinking of 申請居留權 in HK for my 2 kids. As per my understanding, I cannot hold a US citizenship if I want to apply for that. Do anybody know about the details? My sister initially checked it for me saying that I need to bring them back to HK every year for consecutive 7 years to renew the rights if I really want to go for it. One of my friends who live in UK has successfully applied a HKID card for her son lately but she has stayed in HK for 6 months and her case may be a bit different (I cannot touch base with her on the details yet). Do anyone know can I still apply for naturalization if my kids just get the HK 居留權 but not citizenship yet?
花旗太太生活在花旗國,留意時差,你問我未必即時答到。

大宅

10#
發表於 08-10-1 02:51 |只看該作者
rose-mag,

why do u think it'll affect yr naturalization if yr kids get the "HK residency"?

my son also got european citizenship by naturalization from me. i don't think it'll affect me getting naturalized if i would like to do so.

btw, i heard that yr kids won't be able to get the "HK residency" if u already got greencard when they were born.

what would be the benefits for the kids if they got the "HK residency" besides getting free of charge if they need to go to the public hospital while they stay in HK and they could get the "HK-China Pass" without getting visa to visit China?

男爵府

積分: 7794

11#
發表於 08-10-1 03:12 |只看該作者
agree with SY_Mom,
if you have green card when you gave birth, your child won't have HK residency right away anyway.
so, that is not a point to worry about.
even when Amanda was born and I have no green card, the officer will also have to consider if you planned to go back to hk for good or not. as they know that I am working in US as RN, they did not give Amanda a residency, the reason is :Amanda has no intense to live in hk.

原文章由 SY_Mom 於 08-9-30 01:51 PM 發表
rose-mag,

why do u think it'll affect yr naturalization if yr kids get the "HK residency"?

my son also got european citizenship by naturalization from me. i don't think it'll affect me getting natu ...

王國長老

積分: 171639

2024年龍年勳章 2024勳章 虎到金來勳章 牛年勳章 15週年勳章 親子王國15週年勳章 親子王國15週年勳章 2018復活節勳章 畀面勳章 有「營」勳章 好媽媽勳章 醒目開學勳章 環保接龍勳章 大廚勳章 親子達人勳章 王國長老 BK Milk勳章 hashtag影視迷勳章 最關心BB問題熱投勳章 開心吸收勳章

12#
發表於 08-10-1 07:04 |只看該作者
Nillie, SY_Mom,

My mom went back to HK before and met one of my friends who has sucessfully applied a HK Citizenship for her son even though her son bornt in UK. She told my mom that I should try it and it won't hurt but if I have already naturalized as a US citizen, then there's no chance that they can even get a residency in HK. Also, I was told by my friend that if the baby bornt in US when I was still not a US citizen, he or she can apply for residency.

Honestly speaking, I'm not sure if I would like to send them to HK one day or if they would want to study or work there in the future. If I can do something for them now to let them to have a 2nd choice in the future, it won't be that bad.

I think that it maybe silly but if I don't try, my mom will never let go but keep bugging me on that. If I can find more information and check if it is possible or not, at least I can really tell her what's going on.
花旗太太生活在花旗國,留意時差,你問我未必即時答到。

大宅

13#
發表於 08-10-1 11:34 |只看該作者
rose-mag,

my friend did mention to me that those kids who were borned overseas before 1997 could get the HK ID card by naturalization from the parent.
so her older kid got HK ID but her younger one doesn't have one.

don't know if that's the case of your friend.

btw, if the reason that u wanna get the HK residency for yr kids are for study or work in the future, i wouldn't care about it that much. unless yr kids would start their education from kindergarten in HK, most likely they won't get used to the education system there and might prefer going to international school there. regarding working in HK, i think a US citizen wouldn't have any problems and best thing is that they could get certain $ of income for tax exemption (around US$100k a year; not sure if i'm updated). that's why some Americans like to work overseas.

[ 本文章最後由 SY_Mom 於 08-10-1 11:45 編輯 ]

首頁

尾頁

跳至