跳至

首頁

尾頁

大宅

積分: 1760

1#
發表於 09-2-26 10:14 |只看該作者
I still haven't applied for my citizenship although I was qualified several years ago. Now I'm still too lazy to apply for it but I think I will eventually.

Recently the US Census of Bureau kept calling me to have a survey with me regarding my college education and profession. Actually they've been mailing me and calling me on and off for about a year now. As the survey is so lengthy and so much personal info required, I tried to ignore it. However, now my husband said it might affect me getting the citizenship.

What do you think? Any of you had similar experience?

Any comments will be appreciated.

王國長老

積分: 171639

2024年龍年勳章 2024勳章 虎到金來勳章 牛年勳章 15週年勳章 親子王國15週年勳章 親子王國15週年勳章 2018復活節勳章 畀面勳章 有「營」勳章 好媽媽勳章 醒目開學勳章 環保接龍勳章 大廚勳章 親子達人勳章 王國長老 BK Milk勳章 hashtag影視迷勳章 最關心BB問題熱投勳章 開心吸收勳章

2#
發表於 09-2-27 06:58 |只看該作者
Hi SY_Mom,

Have you asked US Census of Bureau why they want you to do the survey and why so much personal information is needed to provide? I have not heard about that and I'm not sure if it really affect your citizenship. Why your husband said so?

Well, I have heard that some people want to keep their previous citizenship and want to retain as resident in US.
花旗太太生活在花旗國,留意時差,你問我未必即時答到。

大宅

3#
發表於 09-2-27 13:29 |只看該作者
rose-mag,

one of my friends said that she had also done the survey with the US census of bureau for her college education and profession. however, she told me that she doesn't recall that it'll affect the naturalization process if u refuse to take the survey.
i think my husband maybe just wanna scare me or something ... c6! but he still said that you never know ...

regarding retaining the original citizenship, i don't think getting the US citizenship will affect it. i heard that you'll be fine as long as you use the "right" passport when you leave and enter the country (i.e. show US passport in US and show HK passport in HK, etc.) i know someone who had mistakenly shown his US passport when he went back to Singapore, so eventually he had to give up his Singaporean citizenship.
must be very careful when entering a country that doesn't allow dual citizenship.

男爵府

積分: 7794

4#
發表於 09-2-27 21:50 |只看該作者
since I came, no one call me for that... you sure they will obtain all the personal information over the phone?
I don't think so, ask them to send by mail instead.
for your worries about your naturalization.. I don't believe that either.
who will know you did not take that stupid suvrey?
Don't worry too much.. if it is time you believe that you need to go for your citizenship, go for it.
for me.. under my 62 and fat bear's pressure.. I did not early this month..
it is quick.. I submit the form at Sept, 08, then I had my finger print at Oct,08. at Jan, 09- I have my test and get my oath done at Feb.09. total time I spend on it ..just only less than 5 months..

原帖由 SY_Mom 於 09-2-27 12:29 AM 發表
rose-mag,

one of my friends said that she had also done the survey with the US census of bureau for her college education and profession. however, she told me that she doesn't recall that it'll affe ...

大宅

5#
發表於 09-2-28 00:58 |只看該作者
well ... the survey was requested by the US Census of Bureau which is a government department. my friend said she had it once too. sounds like it's not uncommon if you'd completed your degrees in the US.

initially they'd sent my the survey in a booklet by mail for several times. it's lengthy. at the beginning, i'd tried to finish it but it just asked for so many personal details such as household income, etc.
since i'd never replied by mail, they kept calling me instead even i told them that i'd been out of the country.

my another friend had also got her citizenship this month. for those who applied before last Oct., the interview questions are much easier (like the elementary type of questions and no need to spend much time to study). but now the interview questions are like the high school level (but most of the applicants didn't go to high school in US) or like the US Government 101 course in college. that's one of the two courses that i hate in college.

as my current passport is pretty good for traveling and none of my family members had ever asked me to naturalize, i just don't have the urge to do it. however, sometimes i feel a bit weired as i'm the only one in the family who's not a US citizen. whenever we returned back to the US from traveling, i always needed to think which line we should go into at the US custom.

[ 本帖最後由 SY_Mom 於 09-2-28 01:04 編輯 ]

王國長老

積分: 171639

2024年龍年勳章 2024勳章 虎到金來勳章 牛年勳章 15週年勳章 親子王國15週年勳章 親子王國15週年勳章 2018復活節勳章 畀面勳章 有「營」勳章 好媽媽勳章 醒目開學勳章 環保接龍勳章 大廚勳章 親子達人勳章 王國長老 BK Milk勳章 hashtag影視迷勳章 最關心BB問題熱投勳章 開心吸收勳章

6#
發表於 09-2-28 07:50 |只看該作者
SY_Mom,
I see.
Recently, my husband also keep bugging me on naturalization. I asked him why I need to be a citizenship. He said that I can then apply for federal job and his friend can help me to get a job in fed gov. And, my mom also asks me to go for it. I have actually almost filled out the form but just a bit lazy to go take photos and mail it out, especially that I have to take the test of the new version. Even my hubby cannot get the answers right, I don't know if I can make it.
花旗太太生活在花旗國,留意時差,你問我未必即時答到。

男爵府

7#
發表於 09-2-28 22:13 |只看該作者
sy_mom, and rose-mag,
you can go to uscis website and download those 100 questions.
acturally, base on my experience.. the officer just want to make sure you have good personality and be honous to US gov. that's it..
the problem I had ..just because fat bear did not go with me. so they gave me a little bit hard time.

I did plan to work for gov as well.. so I will go for my master degree this year. have better educational background will help me to get a better job.. i guess.
原帖由 rose-mag 於 09-2-27 06:50 PM 發表
SY_Mom,
I see.
Recently, my husband also keep bugging me on naturalization. I asked him why I need to be a citizenship. He said that I can then apply for federal job and his friend can help me to ge ...

大宅

8#
發表於 09-3-1 01:48 |只看該作者
nillie,

u might not realize that you're lucky to apply for the citizenship in time, as the new set of interview questions are just another advance level from the old ones. for the old ones, probably just review the 100 questions a couple days before the exam will do. for the newer ones, it'll take me some time to review them.

btw, u plan to get your master degree while working full time and taking care of yr 2 kids?! c ... i always said you're a super-mom and a wonder-woman!
have u consider getting a degree of Physician Assistant (who can write medical prescriptions and give diagnosis, etc.)

for me, now i even asked myself why i got my master degree as i just stay home to take care of my kid anyway.

anyway, thanks for the link for applying citizenship. don't know when i'll actually start doing it ... call me lazy ...

[ 本帖最後由 SY_Mom 於 09-3-1 01:50 編輯 ]

男爵府

9#
發表於 09-3-1 21:19 |只看該作者
Therefore, my 62 and fat bear force me so hard to submit my application before october.
anyway, have it done.. and to fulfill my 62's dream.. whole family are US citizen.

for the master degree.. I will not do anything about the physican assistance.. that is going backward.. normally, we know.. for those can't get into nursing.. to get the BSN, will go for PA..
and BSN pay is higher than PA.. If I wanna studies.. either be a NP nurse practitioner which I can write prescription as well.
but... I would rather go for business development or education direction. they said that I can choose either go for 2 years part time, or 4 years part time.
原帖由 SY_Mom 於 09-2-28 12:48 PM 發表
nillie,

u might not realize that you're lucky to apply for the citizenship in time, as the new set of interview questions are just another advance level from the old ones. for the old ones, probably ...

大宅

10#
發表於 09-3-2 02:22 |只看該作者
nillie,

u should thank yr 62 and hubby to remind you about the cut off date for the new set of interview questions for naturalization. nobody had reminded me. if i had known it earlier, i probably would have made myself apply for it by last Oct. too.
well ... as my hubby always said, we're not always the lucky ones. i guess i would need to spend a bit more time to review the new interview questions when i apply for it.

for the PA (physician assistant) position that i was talking about requires a master degree in PA which is at least equivalent to the nurse practitioner (or even higher ... that i'm not sure).
the PA at my kid's pediatrician's office had such kind of degree and training at Stanford. i think the pay of PA is definitely not worse than an RN and maybe even higher.

anyway, a nurse practitioner is also good. in here MPH (master degree in public health admin.) is also popular. well ... of course, u know better in the medical field in your area la.
good luck!

[ 本帖最後由 SY_Mom 於 09-3-2 02:25 編輯 ]

首頁

尾頁

跳至