跳至

首頁

尾頁

大宅

積分: 1127

1#
發表於 09-4-13 16:58 |只看該作者
My daughter is going to study PN class in the coming Sep. Would like to know more about the school.
1.What do u think about the language ability of your kids after studying in Boxhill?
2.Do you all plan to send the kids to international school?
3. Are there any students graudated from Boxhill and move on to Local school? Which school mainly? are the kids capable to study band 1 local schools like DGS??

Thanks for any advices.
Harrier ;-)

複式洋房

積分: 362

2#
發表於 09-4-13 19:14 |只看該作者
Hi harrierwong,

我大仔今年K1, PN時已喺boxhill讀.嗰時因工作要搬嚟沙田.得boxhill有位....
PN class當時係出乎我意料咁好,Mrs King 同Miss Maggie係十分好的老師.雖然我有懷疑過boxhill算唔算int's...因為只得Mrs King係外藉老師(菲藉).但很多謝佢哋幫我教好大仔,改了唔少壞習慣.
到K1時有D失望.因為個Miss 唔係好有經驗.所以我曾經轉Local KG for only 1.5 month. And I really think Int's is more suitable for him.好彩地亦轉了新老師,她很有經驗,亦教得不錯.
我一路都知我大仔d英文唔差.但我亦唔信好似d Miss講得咁好 (能流利講及完全明白).直至我俾佢去d外藉老師到補習 (讀Local KG 時),先知大仔是真的能做到.:D
He only watch English program at home...亦只睇英文書....我問佢你識聽哂,佢話識.
本來都唔咁sure俾唔俾佢哋讀int's,因為2個小朋友,$$$$係好大原因.但睇見大仔真是很開心,又無乜壓力,唯有辛苦dd.
Hi~~~~

大宅

3#
發表於 09-4-14 23:22 |只看該作者
patshing,

do u plan to send your kids to international schools? but will u transfer them to ESF kinder so as to have priority (I assume u send your kids to ESF as this is an economic way of sending kids to international schools).

from your reply, i noticed u mentioned only English, how about the chinese? how many PTH lessons are there? are your kids capable to communicate in PTH?
I am still thinking of which way to go, international school or local school, so I would like to seek more advices from experienced moms.
Thanks.

Are there parents orientation to new students? as during the interview, the teacher said they are not prepared to answer parents questions and there will be something like orientation to parents once students are offered a place, however, up till now, i still heard nothing from them. Any mom knows anything?
Harrier ;-)

複式洋房

4#
發表於 09-4-16 00:31 |只看該作者
Hi Harrier,

I cannot speak PTH so I never speark PTH to my son. According to the report of PTH teacher, my son can speak PTH as their expectations.

Chinese.... I thk it is ok but u know, local kg 's level must be higher.

I had think about transfer them to ESF kg. But my husbend terminated this thought coz he think it is more safe to stay in Boxhill. If my kids cannot successfully enter Int's , they can l study K3 in Boxhill and apply Local primary .

I haven't attend any orientation program when my son started the school becauses I m in hospital give birth to my second boy. But I do remember that the staff are very helpful and my son started school happily.
Well, I think God will choice the best thing for my son :).

Hi~~~~

大宅

積分: 2122

5#
發表於 09-4-16 11:02 |只看該作者
harrierwong,

my daughter got accepted to the am class for N1 this coming fall. we did have an orientations last months on few topic likes `how to prepare your kids to school` or `how to practise english at home`etc.
if you didn't receive any of the info, I think you better give them a call directly. their staffs are very friendly.

大宅

6#
發表於 09-4-16 23:35 |只看該作者
yuenru,

Thanks for your info. I didn't receive any call inviting me for any form of orientation. So I think I will give them a call tmr. So do u think the orientation helpful, do they answer questions from parents as well?
Do u live in Ma On Shan?Why do u choose Boxhill? what's your plan for your daughter regarding education (local or int'l)? sorry if these questions are too personal, but i really do want to seek more advice from parents choosing this kinder.

Thanks a lot.

[ 本帖最後由 harrierwong 於 09-4-16 23:37 編輯 ]
Harrier ;-)

別墅

積分: 563

7#
發表於 09-4-17 09:56 |只看該作者
harrierwong,

if your ultimate goal is DGJS, then you probably will need to transfer to a local kg for K1. Boxhill is a good kg, but mostly for the international primary school since their homework load is not enough compared to local kg. Your daughter will have a tough time transitioning to top tier primary school like DGJS even if she gets accepted. But if you are not thinking of top tier local primary school, then it's good to stay at boxhill till K3. I have met some boxhill parents and their kids who stayed their till K3 went to pui kiu college / Wong Kam Fai (HKBU primary school) / MOS holy spirit.

My elder daughter was at boxhill for PN class, which I was very pleased with her progress in that year and she loves the teachers there. But since I wanted her to go to local primary school, I have no choice but to transfer her to local kg in kowloon tong since K1. BTW, I remember they did have an orientation in June or July for parents, and also tell you which class your kid will be in.

My younger son is going to PN at boxhill in Aug too. we live in MOS too.

大宅

8#
發表於 09-4-18 22:19 |只看該作者
Lilymom,

Thanks for your detail reply. In fact, i am still thinking what kind of school do I want my daughter to be in. At the very beginning, we thought of int'l, but as I want my daughter to be able to master chinese as well. We started to think about local primary (particularly those thru-train school). Local top tier school like DGJS, St. Paul Convent and St. Paul Co-ed are definitely most parent's dream school, mine as well. But I heard that CKY, St. Margaret is doing very good in recent years, especially in providing bilingual environment (which I would like my girl grown up to be able to master). But these are very different schools. Local traditional vs new type of school more like project approach.

Therefore, my initial plan is to put my girl in nursery first, see if the school is ok, if not, probably would try kln tong famous kinder K1. Do u think after studying PN in Boxhill prepares the kids well for those kln tong kinder? do i need to give extra classes?

Sorry if this is a bit too long.
Harrier ;-)

複式洋房

9#
發表於 09-4-19 12:16 |只看該作者
My son's PN classmate last year, some of them go to St.Cat, KV,Anfield....etc
Dun worry, I think Boxhill PN class is good.
Hi~~~~

別墅

10#
發表於 09-4-19 17:31 |只看該作者
Yeah, primary school is a big headache, my daughter is in K2 now and I'm going crazy about it. I remember more than half of my daughter's classmates went to those famous local KG in kowloon tong area.

大宅

積分: 3222

11#
發表於 09-4-20 16:06 |只看該作者
我個囡現時讀緊pn,下年會轉去讀st.cat.,如果有人想要校服,我可以平d賣。

大宅

12#
發表於 09-4-20 22:34 |只看該作者

回覆 # 的文章

Do u give extra lessons to your daughter? do u think Boxhill prepares your girl well for applying St. Cat??
Harrier ;-)

大宅

積分: 2122

13#
發表於 09-4-20 23:12 |只看該作者
hi harrier,
I live in Ma on Shan as well. just like you, we haven't decided whether we want to put her at local school or int'l school. but in either way, I think boxhill should be good enough as nursery. after all, I visited their open day, their students are able to get into either local schools or international schools. i'm not too worry about that part.

after discussing this topic with many of my mummies/daddies friends, I got the sense that it all depends to your family environment as well. if you decided to put them into local school, some of them will take the kids to english class after school. however, if you home primiarily language is chinese, then attending int'l school will have the balance. but might consider how to improve the written language.
that's all.
原帖由 harrierwong 於 09-4-16 23:35 發表
yuenru,

Thanks for your info. I didn't receive any call inviting me for any form of orientation. So I think I will give them a call tmr. So do u think the orientation helpful, do they answer question ...

別墅

14#
發表於 09-4-21 00:03 |只看該作者
原帖由 harrierwong 於 09-4-20 22:34 發表
Do u give extra lessons to your daughter? do u think Boxhill prepares your girl well for applying St. Cat??

I did not give any extra lessons to my daughter at that time when she apply for K1. Between the start of PN class & interview at St Cat for K1, we are talking about only 2 months time. Probably you can't depend all on boxhill to prepare the kid for interview, esp it's not their job to prepare a kid for K1 interviews, but at least I know that they taught my kid good manners.

Honestly, whether the kid get accepted by St cat or KV etc, I think "luck" plays a big part in it. The questions at the interview were pretty simple, basic knowlege like colors, shapes etc, not anything difficult. I'm sure almost all the kids will know how to answer them, but there are only a certain number of seats available, there must be kids who did not get accepted, so guess you do need some luck too

大宅

15#
發表於 09-4-21 10:22 |只看該作者
yes, I agree there's luck and also "relationship" plays an important role in whether your kids got accepted or not. I will give it a try anyway

You remind me of the interview time for K1 as I totally forgot interview normally starts in Nov, so I really do have to put some effort in providing an English environment to my girl for that. Since we are talking to her in Cantonese, so I was thinking putting her in Boxhill helps her to get comfortable with English environment. However, if the timing is like this, I better speak more english at home, haha.

thanks for sharing!
Harrier ;-)

別墅

16#
發表於 09-4-21 11:42 |只看該作者
原帖由 harrierwong 於 09-4-21 10:22 發表
yes, I agree there's luck and also "relationship" plays an important role in whether your kids got accepted or not. I will give it a try anyway

You remind me of the interview time for K1 as I tota ...

If you are planning to apply for st cat K1, make sure you check their website for info everyday starting Sept. Get the documents ready first (all listed on the website) and then mail it in as soon as they posted that they are ready for applying. Since the last couple years, they made the application as first come first serve, heard that all was given out within the first week or so.

My daughter chose chinese as the language for interview and she still got accepted. So, I don't think the interviewing language plays a role in the process. But getting comfortable in speaking English before the start of K1 is good, which I think Boxhill did a good job in this area.

大宅

17#
發表於 09-4-22 21:56 |只看該作者
lilymom, Thanks for your advise. I will check their website starting from Sep, in fact, i have already bookmarked it!

U said your daughter choose Chinese for the interview, do u mean Cantonese or PTH? as i know there is PTH and English or simply English and Cantonese classes, I would definitely choose PTH & English for my daughter. The only problem is no one talk to her in PTH, would it be possible to choose Cantonese for interview and elect for PTH classes?
What kind of local primary school do u plan to send your daughter to?
Harrier ;-)

大宅

18#
發表於 09-4-22 22:02 |只看該作者
My husband gave school a call yesterday, he was directed to talk to the principal luckily! He told me principal said there will be orientation in Jun. so I am looking forward to their orientation and ask more questions. Hope the answers will impress me to continue my decision to send my girl to Boxhill. To be honest, I am waiting for the reply from St. Paul in Tai Po.
Harrier ;-)

別墅

19#
發表於 09-4-23 09:43 |只看該作者
原帖由 harrierwong 於 09-4-22 21:56 發表
lilymom, Thanks for your advise. I will check their website starting from Sep, in fact, i have already bookmarked it!

U said your daughter choose Chinese for the interview, do u mean Cantone ...

We chose Cantonese for the interview. I vaguely remember that if you choose putonghua/english class, you have to use putonghua for interview, but not very sure. There are very few PTH/Eng classes, so very hard to get in. If you choose cantonese/eng class, you can choose to be interviewed by english or cantonese. Bear in mind that the parents will be asked questions too, so you need to be comfortable in whatever language you pick. Even for can/eng classes, they have PTH classes every week, my girl was able to recite a few PTH nursery rhymes even in K1 with good pronounciation too.

Haven't make up my mind on which Primary school to apply, is gathering info right now.

大宅

20#
發表於 09-4-23 21:02 |只看該作者
lilymom, u r correct as my friend told me if u choose PTH/Eng, u have to speak in PTH during interview, I am not very comfortable with PTH but fine with English or Cantonese. So really have to think what kind of language to take. If taken PTH but not performing well, then probably lose of the chance of getting into the school, so if taking Eng/Cantonese, at least I as a parent will perform better, hence increasing the chance of getting in.
Harrier ;-)

首頁

尾頁

跳至